08 January 2013

Snakeskin

I placed second in the Poetry with Prakriti 2012 competition with the poem below. The news is made less exciting by the fact that I placed second in the competition last year as well (with a poem called Clean-Up). That said, validation is still very, very sweet.

Snakeskin

These moments are knotted
Like the carcasses of reptiles
Heaped together.
How snakelike
Is your desire for me,
Its dark skin shed each week,
Leaving the faint stench
Of old love
In my hands
And the hardness of keratin
In my heart.

When sharp new scales
Rage across you,
Texturing your malleability
With rubber and indolence,
I let you coil around my neck
Once again,
Waiting for venom
And pain
And the freshness of unshed love
To slither into my wounded flesh.

2 comments:

dfsk.wordpress.com said...

Congratulations! This is a lovely poem. Also enjoyed 'Clean-up' a lot.

Pavan said...

Congrats Manasi! Reading your winning poems, I could not help but recollect this sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_V3lzAR_yM

I hope you're doing well :)

Post a Comment